The Super Eagles Soar…
The date was October 7th 2017, and it stood unique why because of the number 7 1 0 2 0 1 7 looking at it from the front or the back it looked similar and we would probably never have that again, but the point of focus was Nigeria, the sport: Football, the state: Akwa Ibom, Uyo, the Opponent: Zambia and the goal: World cup qualification.
If the Super Eagles of Nigeria won, they would qualify has the first country from Africa to go the World cup in Russia next year, if they drew they would have to wait till the last match of the group stage to qualify and if they lost they would have to win their last match away to Algeria. So it was all to play for, the stadium was full, we had no injury worries and everyone was fired up. But the Zambians where not in Uyo to be run over, they came for blood and it was a youthful side. The match started and the Zambians matched Nigeria’s athletism and guts, they even had a goal disallowed and Nigeria was living on the edge. It was goalless at Half time. The second half began and an inspired change from our Coach Rohr to substitute Simon Moses and bring in Alex Iwobi of Arsenal was just on point. Alex showed his pace and energy right from the point he stepped on the pitch and gave a warning to the Zambians. Eventually he scored the only goal of the match to send the Super Eagles to Russia. At the final whistle everyone was in celebratory mode. Leon Balogun was reduced to tears, tears of Joy. It was an amazing feat. See you world in Russia in 2018. I would be here reporting lol.
Countries that have qualified so far for Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Russia– The hosts qualified when they won the chance to host the competition back in Dec 2010.
- Brazil– CONMEBOL round robin winners, qualified way back on March 28, 2017
- Iran– AFC third round group A winners
- Japan– AFC third round group B winners
- South Korea– runners-up to Iran in Group A
- Saudi Arabia– runners-up in Group B
- Mexico– North and central America and Caribbean round 5 winners
- Belgium– Uefa group H winners (first European team) who qualified on Sept 3
- Germany – Sealed their place as Group C winners
- England – Gareth Southgate’s side beat Slovenia at Wembley to secure their spot in Russia as Winners of group F
- Poland – Poland became to fourth European team to qualify having dropped points in just two games in Group E
- Costa Rica– Reached their fourth World Cup finals with a game remaining from their CONCACAF qualification group
- Nigeria – Became the first side from Africa to reach Russia and have now missed just one tournament – Germany 2006 – since first qualifying 1994
- Egypt – Mohamed Salah scored twice to send the north Africans into their first finals since 1990
Hamilton wins Japan Grand prix
Hamilton wins the Japanese Grand Prix in a race that looked far from easy. The Mercedes car seems not to function optimally which gave room for Verstapen of Redbull to try his luck but Bottas once again showed a noble deputy for Hamilton shielding Verstapen from Hamilton the Mercedes would have to solve their issues before the next race so as to avoid the Ferrari stealing the race because Vettel had a DNF. (Retired before the race started due to car issue).
Our hearts go out to the people of Ghana regarding the recent petrol station explosion. May God give the people who lost one person or the other the fortitude to bear the loss. Amen
Twitter time; The AtikuChallenge
Everything seems to be a challenge in Nigeria this days, people just looking for a way to make themselves happy, this particular one featured Atiku who took a picture showing himself dressed up and ready for the snow. He wrote underneath how we are ready to storm Russia regardless of the snow and now everyone is doing their own mimic of it. Sigh Nigerians I hail oooo..
The First Female Deputy Governor
Buhari recently appointed a female deputy Governor, Aishah Ahmad; pending confirmation by the Senate into the Apex bank, Central Bank of Nigeria. This came with fun fair and celebration on social media. Up until the appointment she worked in Diamond bank and excelled in her role. In the words of Oby Ezekwesili “I would not say congratulations, but wish you the grace to serve in this new appointment”. She happens to be the first female Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria which is no small feat.